Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Excuses...

Excuses, we make them all the time.

We often make attempts to absolve or justify the fact that we are not willing to be responsible. We lie to ourselves and others in order to condone what we know to be wrong. It's an act of laziness and unwillingness to accept a responsibility.

We all do this daily, multiple times even. I do it as well and regret usually follows. 

I can vividly recall the time I made excuses with the endeavor to avoid an opportunity God had clearly put in front of me. I made an effort to do this, but God did not allow me to and was very persistent. 

I was on a train headed to Machu Picchu. The day before I had been traveling all day and at this point in the trip was very tired. Upon boarding the train I found that the seat I was assigned to was facing the back of another seat and a table in front of that. I placed my belongings under my seat, placed my phone on the table and inserted my earphones. I sat and got myself situated with the intentions to sleep the entire 2 hours ride, but the Lord had other plans for me.

The person with the assigned seat next to me came a little later. He sat, didn't say a word, and closed his eyes. Usually I would greet the person sitting beside me and mingle, but I wanted to rest and it looked as if he wanted to do the same. So I proceeded to get nice and comfortable as we sat beside each other in silence, not a word was said.

About 10 minutes later a waiter came to us and cleared his throat with the intention to wake us up; it worked. Now with our full attention he offered us beverages and snacks. I wasn't in the mood for the a drink or snack, but then he mentioned he had coffee, free coffee, Haha. I couldn't say no to freshly brewed coffee especially if it's free! So I asked for a cup and the man beside me did too. Now that I was caffeinated I lost the desire to sleep and it seemed to be the case for my acquaintance as well.

Awake and alert I sat there not having much to do and a thought hit me, one that quickly became an impulse, an itch. I had the sudden urge to evangelize to the dude. I didn't want to talk before at all due to being tired, but now I had no excuse... thanks to the cup of joe. I quickly ignored this urge and continued to sit there and popped in my earphones again.

I pressed play. I had my songs on shuffle and was listening to my playlist that I had labeled "encouraging". Little did I know that I would literally be encouraged and in such a clear way. The song that played was " Follow you" by Leeland. This is the first verse:

"You live among the least of these, the weary and the weak
And it would be a tragedy for me to turn away
All my needs You have supplied

When I was dead You gave me life
How could I not give it away so freely?"


I couldn't finish the song! I was about to break out in tears from all the emotion.  I couldn't believe how stubborn I was being. Overwhelmed in that moment with how clear God was being I understood that I had to talk with this man and share what was given to me so freely. As all of this was going through my mind the dude taps my shoulder and greets me. I didn't even have to start the conversation. God was working it all out for me to reach out to this man.

We begin talking and we exchanged information on where we were from, why we were in Peru, and how we ended up on a train to see one of the wonders of the world. We mainly started with little talk but we eventually hit the topic of religion. He told me of how his family was catholic and how he was considered a black sheep in his house due to not partaking in their religion. I told him that I didn't know much about catholicism, but knew how it was a popuIar and traditional religion for hispanics especially in latin countries. He told me how he wasn't a part of any religion, but had been researching and looking into different religions in hopes of finding one where he could know God and find peace. I told him that I wasn't exactly part of a religion either, but that I have a relationship with God that was personal and that there is where I found peace.

He was confused. He wanted to know what religion I belonged to and how I could possibly know and have a relationship with Christ that was personal. I explained how I was a christian and that the world places me and others who follow God into the religion category, but that what I have and other christians  have is not a religion but is a relationship with God. He was so interested at this point that he shifted in his seat to face me directly. 

Our conversation continued with him asking question after question. The Lord allowed me to have the responses. I told him my testimony and explained how the Lord has changed me and was still constantly changing my life. I was quoting verses from Romans and John, but I wanted him to see the verses from the bible itself. Unfortunately I had only brought my iPad which has the bible app, but needs wifi. I attempted to open the bible app, nonetheless it did not work. I went to place my iPad back into my backpack and found a pocket bible and tracts! A friend from Cusco had given me her backpack for my hike to Machu Picchu and had thrown in a bible and tracts too(along with a poncho). So I was able to read through the verses with him and write down some passages for him to read through later. 

About 2 hours had passed and our train ride had ended, with it our conversation did too. Before we parted ways I prayed for him and handed him a tract. As I handed him the tract I told him one last thing, I told him that we didn't meet by coincidence and that now he had no excuse for not knowing how to know and follow God. He had been looking for the Lord and now he has found the truth and way to knowing him, all he had to do was accept the free gift. 


Don't run from an opportunity to share the gospel. Don't make excuses.




 

                        Took a quick photo with José. Same name and he was Costa Rican too!

No comments:

Post a Comment